Maksimir – Zagreb's "Central Park"
Maksimir is a district of the City of Zagreb which comprises the park-forest also called Maksimir after which the whole district and a Maksimir Stadium got its name.
The forest Park Maksimir, the first of that kind in south-eastern Europe, was opened in 1794 at the initiative of Bishop Maksimilijan Vrhovac. Architectural objects are mostly works of the architect Franz Schücht. The park of 316 hectares, preserves the flora and fauna of the lowland forests and with its five lakes (natural and artificial), make the Makimir Park the ideal place for the Zagreb Zoo.
Well known parts of the district Maksimir are: Laščina, Rebar, Oboj, Bukovac and Gornji Bukovac and especially former village Remete with famous Church of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary, with a monastery built by the Paulines, currently inhabited by the Carmelites. A marvellous statue of the Mother of God of Remete is located in the church, which makes Remete one of the most important Marian shrines in Croatia